Project Leader (w/f) Modernization of the Inland Revenue Department
• Job-ID: P0149-V550
• Location: Kathmandu
• Assignment period: 07/01/2018 – 03/31/2021
• Field: Governance
• Type of employment: Full time
• Application deadline: 05/06/2018
For some time now, the Inland Revenue Department (IRD) of Nepal has been implementing reforms and has made significant progress in modernizing public administration, particularly in the area of information and communication technology (ICT). Tax revenues have continuously increased up to 18.7% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in 2016. Tax compliance costs have been reduced, particularly for large taxpayers, but it has remained high for small and medium-sized taxpayers. The GIZ project supports IRD in implementing its reform plan, with the objective of making the tax system more transparent, effective and service-oriented.
• Responsibility for the strategic, financial and context-related steering of the project as a whole;
• Representing the project in steering committees and vis-à-vis third parties;
• Coordinating with other development cooperation measures and other development partners on site;
• Providing technical and strategic advice to the IRD management on the introduction of international standards in organizational structures and procedures, with particular emphasis on tax audit, tax legislation and taxpayer education ;
• Coordinating cooperation with representatives of the private sector, with a view to improving the relationship between IRD and taxpayers;
• Providing process and technical advice to enhance monitoring and evaluation, and to improve the management capacities of Head Office;
• Identifying and implementing corporate policy objectives;
• Managing external advisor assignments and senior national experts;
• Financial management, internal monitoring and knowledge management, reporting to the commissioning party.
• A degree in economics, law, administrative sciences, business, and/or political science;
• Experience working in a tax administration and/or the Ministry of Finance and/or experience in advising tax administrations and/or Ministry of Finance in developing and transition countries;
• Comprehensive knowledge of international standards regarding tax administration reform processes (concept of taxpayers’ segmentation, tax audit, tax legislation and taxpayer education );
• Experience of organisational advisory services and institutional development in the field of development cooperation;
• Strong advisory, communication and management skills;
• Management experience in an international/intercultural environment;
• Strong sense of cultural sensitivity;
• A high frustration threshold;
• The ability to deal with high-ranking political decision-makers, and build networks and alliances;
• Business fluency in English.
The position is based in Kathmandu. It involves little travel, as advice is to be provided at the national level. Kathmandu offers all the comforts of an international city, with good international schools (no German school) and health facilities. More advanced health services are provided in New Delhi or Bangkok. Power failures are expected during much of the year, as well as some politically motivated violence in some areas of the country. Nepal is earthquake-prone and Kathmandu has a very high air pollution.
Last date to apply: 6 May 2018
HOW TO APPLY
- Text Area field TEST